Sunday, August 06, 2006

Movie Recomendation: The Machinist

Although not intended this film makes a great horror movie. The Machinist takes you inside the mind of a very disturb individual. This film is really graphic and rumor has it that Christian Bale nearly died while making it because he had to starve himself, living off of only two apples a day in order to play the demented Trevor Rezink.

The movie revolves around Trevor an insomniac who has not slept properly in over a year. This severe lack off sleep is messing with his brain causing him to have horrible hallucinations and to become extremly paranoid.

Trevor lives a bleak life but what is even more troubling is the pain you see Trevor go through when he struggles to perform everyday tasks. Its almost as if in any second Trevor will drop dead from malnutrition.

Although the ending solves the mystery of what is causing Trevor's sleepless nights, it does not quite deliever. It is as if Trevor went through all his pain for nothing. If anything I recommend this movie because it shows an actor who is so committed to his craft that he was willing to undergo hell in order to play a role in a movie that is mediocore at best.

9 comments:

M-M-M-Mishy said...

I saw this movie a while ago, and I enjoyed it, but I do remember at the end thinking "Seriously, that's it?" The ending could have been better. However, I was also completly astounded by Christian Bale's physical transformation.

PixieGaf said...

Ffluer I doubt a person can live without sleep in over a year. However I don't want to tell you how this film explains that because it gives away the ending.

Mishy seriously they could have thought about so many other things for the ending.

Prunella Jones said...

Intriguing.

Not-So-Naughty Voyeur said...

I watched it with the Mr. I thought the end was interesting, but didn't like the delivery. And I was confused during quite a bit of it. But unless it's senseless humor, I just don't get it anyway :) Did you see 'The Jacket'? I would confuse the 2. My husband really liked that one.

M-M-M-Mishy said...

By the end of his diet, he dropped down to 120 pounds. Apparently he wanted to go to 100lbs, but everyone said that he would get seriously ill or even die if he did it. Now that's devotion to your art.

pelegrim said...

I liked this movie.

prettykitty said...

pixie! i loved this movie! i've been a huge fan of christian bale since empire of the sun and i am just amazed at his dedication to his craft. not only did he deliver in american psycho, but he was great in velvet goldmine too. i really did like the movie, but i agree with your assessment about the ending.

great review!

PixieGaf said...

I am glad you guys liked.

PK everyone who has seen it is dissappointed by the ending.

Mishy Christian Bale is crazy talanted.

NV I have yet to see The Jacket but its on my list of movies to see.

Anonymous said...

That's a great story. Waiting for more. nsx floor mats